Point Abino Lighthouse
Fort Erie, Ontario
The waters surrounding the small peninsula are littered with the remains of numerous ships and barges that were wrecked on hidden shallow shoals and reefs. Lightboat No.82, a U.S. Coast Guard vessel, sunk six miles off the point durring the worst storm ever recorded on Lake Erie, on November 8, 1913. All 12 men aboard went down with the vessel.
Due to the navigational difficulties about the point, a lighthouse was erected in 1917 by the Canadian government.
The lighthouse reached nighty-eight feet on a shelf of rock in the shallow waters. A few years after a light keeper's house was constructed 300 feet from the lighthouse. A 500 watt mercury vapour bulb beams through the original double set of Paris-made, cut glass prisms. The Point Abino lighthouse is officially rated as capable of being seen twenty miles away. The twelve second rotation at light and blasting fog horn allowed freighters and ocean going vessels to keep a safe distance from shore.
The significant historically valued lighthouse is continuously being preserved. A recent "face-lift" has given the 98 foot structure its original splender.
The Point Abino lighthouse was one of the last lighthouses in Canada to be automated. Since 1988, the Canadian Coast Guard headquarters, in Prescott, Ontario, have operated of the fully functional and essential lighthouse (Herbert and Burtniac, 1989)
resubmitted Jan 2010.
helped majorly with some advice on editing. Special thanks to him!